Thursday, July 16, 2015

Fatima

I realized recently that I only have a few more weeks in this beautiful country and honestly the saddest part about leaving is that I will be leaving my adopted family. After some reflection I felt that I should dedicate a post to my host mother, Fatima. Not only will this serve as a sentimental reminder of my "Haltee" (aunt in Arabic), but it will give my readers a look at the life of a Moroccan woman. 

Fatima is a wife, mother of three, French teacher, and superhero. Her powers include supporting her family in every way possible, doing all of the house chores with little to no help, and preparing food all day long without being able to eat any of it. She has her degree in English and speaks pretty fluently, making our relationship even easier. 

Here is a day in the life of Fatima: 
Wake up at 8am to feed the American girl breakfast
Go to work
Do any shopping
Prepare dinner
Wash the floors, tables, bathrooms, kitchen
Do laundry
Hang the laundry
Fold the laundry
Set the table
Eat dinner
Clean up from dinner
Continue to clean while the men go to pray at the mosque
Prepare dinner which is served at 2am because it's Ramadan
Go to bed at 3 or 4am when everything is done

Repeat 

I can't even begin to fathom doing this much work, much less doing it with a smile on my face after only four hours of sleep. 

I have only ever seen her sit during mealtimes and even then she is running back and forth to the kitchen to fetch various utensils and spices.


Beyond all of her daily achievements, she has welcomed my roommate and I into not only her home, but her family as well. Ramadan is a time of gathering with family and every time that they go to visit family, she insists that we come along. She cannot leave us for more than half an hour without offering us juice or food or water. Every time that I compliment something of hers, she gives it to me. So far she has tried to give me three of her daughters dresses and a pair of shoes. 

They have this nifty contraption that is a handheld carpet cleaner, just to pick up big stuff. My roommate and I commented that this was a pretty cool gadget and she immediately bought one for us both. 

Thank you Fatima, for being my mom away from home and for loving us like a couple of extra daughters. 

1 comment:

  1. Fatima sounds absolutely wonderful!!! She is a laundress, cook, maid, hostess, wife, mother, and superwoman, all rolled into one amazing person :-)

    ReplyDelete