Sunday, June 7, 2015

Journey to Meknes

Greetings! Welcome to my travel blog for the summer of 2015!

After months of preparation and a few teary goodbyes, I set off from Richmond on my long trip to Meknes. I took a flight from Richmond to Chicago, from Chicago to Montreal, and then from Montreal to Casablanca. Upon arrival in Casablanca, I was welcomed into a group of students all headed for the Arab-American Language Institute in Meknes. So, we piled into a bus and settled in for a three hour ride. Needless to say, we were all pretty much delirious with exhaustion by the time we reached the center. Luckily, we were quickly introduced to our host families and shuttled off to our respective locations.

My host family consists of a father (Habib), mother (Fatima), and their eighteen year old daughter (Imane). Habib and Fatima also have a twenty-three year old son (Hatim) and a fifteen year old daughter (Ishraaq), but Hatim lives on his own and Ishraaq takes care of her grandmother. They are the loveliest people. They welcomed me with open arms (and of course a kiss on each cheek) and told me that I'm "exactly like Imane." I'm also living with a roommate from America. Her name is Jasmine and she's in a masters program at Georgetown. We tucked into a delicious and enormous meal before passing out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment