Monday, June 8, 2015

The Program

I am studying here in Meknes at AALIM, a center for Arabic language learning. One of my Arabic professors from William & Mary is the director of the program, so that's why I chose this one. The institute is beautiful and it's home several different programs from different schools. Since I didn't apply through an organized program, I'm in the "independent scholar" group. There are fifteen of us in the independent group and I like everybody I've met so far! Yesterday was the first day of classes and we took a three hour placement test. After that we had orientation about how to live in Morocco...here's the gist of it:
1) Women don't expose their knees or shoulders
2) Men will be amazed to see Americans and harass you on the street (sexual harassment isn't a concept here)
3) You will get very sick to your stomach at some point, luckily there is a French medication better than Pepto: smecta
4) There are no street signs or addresses really, if you need to know how to get somewhere: ask (but never ask a man)

After the orientation, we went on a tour of the old city. Meknes is split into two parts: Old City (medina qdeema) and New City (Hamria). The old city is an intricate maze of alleys that are filled with artisans hammering away. I can't wait to go shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment